« July 2004 | Main | September 2004 »

August 29, 2004

funny cuz it's true

My Mom forwarded this one from my sis-in-law:

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE
>CONVENTION SCHEDULE
>New York, NY
>6:00 PM - Opening Prayer led by the Reverend Jerry Falwell
>6:30 PM - Pledge of Allegiance
>6:35 PM - Ceremonial Burning of Bill of Rights (excluding 2nd Amendment)
>6:45 PM - Salute to the Coalition of the Willing
>6:46 PM - Seminar #1: Katherine Harris on "Are Elections Really
>Necessary?"
>7:30 PM - Announcement: Lincoln Memorial Renamed for Ronald Reagan
>7:35 PM - Trent Lott - "Re-segregation in the 21st Century"
>7:40 PM - EPA Address #1: Mercury: It's What's for Dinner
>8:00 PM - Vote on which country to invade next
>8:10 PM - Call EMTs to revive Rush Limbaugh
>8:15 PM - John Ashcroft Lecture: The Homos Are After Your Children
>8:30 PM - Round table discussion on reproductive rights (men only)
>8:50 PM - Seminar #2: Corporations: The Government of the Future
>9:00 PM - Condi Rice sings "Can't Help Lovin' That Man"
>9:05 PM - Phyllis Schlafly speaks on "Why Women Shouldn't Be Leaders"
>9:10 PM - EPA Address #2: Trees: The Real Cause of Forest Fires
>9:30 PM - break for secret meetings
>10:00 PM - Second Prayer led by Cal Thomas
>10:15 PM - Carl Rove Lecture: Doublespeak Made Simple
>10:30 PM - Rumsfeld Lecture/Demonstration: "How to Squint and Talk Macho
>Even When You Feel Squishy Inside"
>10:35 PM - Bush demonstration of trademark "deer in headlights" stare
>10:40 PM - John Ashcroft Demonstration: New Mandatory Kevlar Chastity
>Belt
>10:45 PM - GOP's Tribute to Tokenism, featuring Colin Powell & Condi
>Rice
>10:46 PM - Ann Coulter's Tribute to "Joe McCarthy, American Patriot"
>10:50 PM - Seminar #3: Education: A Drain on Our Nation's Economy
>11:10 PM - Hilary Clinton Pinata
>11:20 PM - John Ashcroft Lecture: Evolutionists: A Dangerous New Cult
>11:30 PM - Call EMTs to revive Rush Limbaugh again
>11:35 PM - Blame Clinton
>11:40 PM - Newt Gingrich speaks on "The Sanctity of Marriage"
>11:41 PM - Announcement: Ronald Reagan to be added to Mt. Rushmore
>11:50 PM - Closing Prayer led by Jesus Himself
>12:00 PM - Nomination of George W. Bush as Holy Supreme Planetary
>Overlord

-gg

Posted by gadgetgirl at 11:13 AM

August 27, 2004

We're number two! We're number

We're number two! We're number two! (link from Kris)

Oh, and another thing from Book Week. On one of the entries this little girl was very different. Instead of drawing her favourite character she she wrote about her philosophy of life. She wrote, 'Smile, practice peace, and eat watermellon'. I love it!
I should go to work...

-gg

Posted by gadgetgirl at 07:05 AM

August 26, 2004

It has been a seriously

It has been a seriously crazy week.
It is Children's Book Week and there has been WAY too much on.
We have been running a colouring/writing competition for the kids and the winners are coming for the a big presentation with the Mayor. The whole procedure of choosing the winners have been very stressful for me. The staff voted on the entries and then the children's librarian and I had to make the final decisions. Now I know how these kids will remember this for the rest of their lives. So I take all of this very seriously. I wanted to make sure that they have a really fantastic photo op with their winning entry so I did a really kick ass bulletin board that they are gonna go nuts over.
Yes, I'm a little excited about this, but I'm just trying to make sure these kids have great memories, ya know? I remember winning a colouring competition at a ice cream shop when I was like 7 and I still get warm fuzzies. (It was the at the Velvet Freeze by my Grandma's place and I won a big pumpkin).

I'm so looking forward to this weekend for a bit of a rest.

-gg70

Posted by gadgetgirl at 07:56 PM

August 24, 2004

Ok, so I'm watching Simon

Ok, so I'm watching Simon LeBon on Rove. Man, he has had just a little bit of work done. I swear he looks just like he did in 82. But they showed a little clip of John Taylor and he is still HOT. whoo-hoo.

(I know, I know, very sad...)

-gg70

Posted by gadgetgirl at 09:55 PM

August 23, 2004

OK, when you get in

OK, when you get in a cab in the centre of Sydney (at George and Liverpool) and the cab driver says, "do you know how to get to the Harbour Bridge from here ?", take my advice and get right back out of that cab. take my word for it. it will save you $7 and the stress of finding another cab.

and go see Hellboy, it's worth the cash.

Oh, and I brought home a DVD of the first series of The Young Ones. I'm in 80's heaven.

-gg

Posted by gadgetgirl at 08:47 PM

August 20, 2004

OK, I just added a

OK, I just added a calendar to the Sydney Stitch N Bitch site. Easy-peasy!

Also, the winners (or losers as the case may be!) of the Ernie Awards have been posted. This award goes to the most sexist statements/actions in Australia. The John Howard stuff does not surprise me, but the Australia post stuff is shocking! (scroll to the bottom of the page to see for yourself.)

-gg

Posted by gadgetgirl at 07:46 PM

I just found out that

I just found out that there is going to be a film adaptation of the Chris Van Allsburg classic The Polar Express. And this one it is going to be animated. wow, that's gonna be cool! Hopefully it will be a little better than Jumanji.
-gg

Posted by gadgetgirl at 09:01 AM

August 19, 2004

OK, my Mom says this

OK, my Mom says this little Bush snafu isn't making the news in the US so here is a link for ya. I'd laugh at this more if this guy weren't in such a position of power...shudder....

The 2004 Ernie Award are on tonight. Tomorrow the Mondo Thingo web site will have all the winners. Or losers. as the case may be.

-gg

Posted by gadgetgirl at 10:36 PM

August 18, 2004

This amazing link from my

This amazing link from my ever amazing sis-in-law.

-gg70

Posted by gadgetgirl at 10:12 PM

Attention Sydney! There is a

Attention Sydney!
There is a whole different SnB out there for you! (Kris? Miss Helen? Sidherian?)
Here's the proof:
(I know, I know, you can't believe everything you see on the net, but you get the point.....) But I hope this helps.
Much thanks to Meg, hope to catch up with ya soon.

-gg70

Posted by gadgetgirl at 10:02 PM

August 15, 2004

jumpin jesus

So I knew that the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area had been hit really hard but then this morning they showed the aftermath on the news here. Crap. I literally wathced it with my mouth open. The Weather Channel has some amazing images of the affected areas. But looking at them you would think that Port Charlotte is one big trailor park. But we all know that's just because the most dramatic images come from there.
Apparently they are going to be without electricity for 2-3 weeks. wow.

-gg70

Posted by gadgetgirl at 10:08 AM

August 14, 2004

If you live in the

If you live in the US I'm sure you know about Hurricane Charley. But what you may not know is that my inlaws live in Port Charlotte. The hurricane hit Fort Meyers pretty much full force. Fort Meyers is, well, spitting distance from Port Charlotte. So, yeah, they've had a hell of a day.
They are OK. (thank the god of your choice) But the cage around the pool is, well, a former cage. And they will have to have someone in to fix the roof. But considering this was one of the worst storms in the US in over a decade, things could have been a whole lot worse.
Let's hope they get the phones back on soon so we can hear all about the excitement.

-gg70

Posted by gadgetgirl at 06:35 PM

August 12, 2004

Congrats go out to Kris,

Congrats go out to Kris, the new rock star manager of Tapestry Craft. Hey girl, can you get to work on that web site? ;)

And on the yarn front I scored a box (yes a box!) of black 12 ply yarn from a friend who had left overs from her company's windows. OK, I did get a bunch of other stuff for the kids at the library (ribbon, boxes, more yarn, big pieces of foamcore, feathers, and a bunch of foam blocks, among other things...). But I pulled the black yarn out because I know that it is so much easier to teach people to knit with light coloured yarn. Or that's what I'm saying.

And this one goes out to Helen: hey are you going to see Spiderbait at the Gaelic Club? If we go it will be on the Saturday cuz I have a Hen's night on the Friday.

-gg

Posted by gadgetgirl at 09:22 PM

August 11, 2004

I feel like I have

I feel like I have been neglecting my little blog here. When I haven't been posting a lot I get this flash back to 4th grade and going to confession. Forgive me Father for I have sinned, it had been one week since my last post. Yikes.

Anyway, since I've been working in Mosman for over 2 months now I have made an observation.
When one buys an extra large SUV, one must get the 'North Shore Package' which includes deactivating the turn signals (they just get in the way, right?) and wiring the brights so they some on every time one turns on the headlights.
I know, I know, this all sounds a little bitchy. But hey, it's my blog!

Is it bad that I think that Pete Murray is just a little bit hot?

-gg70

Posted by gadgetgirl at 07:32 PM

August 09, 2004

wait, wait, wait....I just saw

wait, wait, wait....I just saw a Queer Eye that they actually make 600 thread count cotton sheets. Lordy, I think I need to do some shopping.

-gg70
(OH, and GO CHANEL on Aussie Idol!)

Posted by gadgetgirl at 09:42 PM